Friday, July 8, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

These days I jump back when I see my reflection in a store window or when I take a quick glance at myself in a mirror. I think to myself, oh my god, that’s not, me. What the hell is going on? I am still finding it difficult dealing with my ageing body and the fact that my brain still thinks I am 30. When I rationalize it, I know this is a normal process of life. I know I live a healthy lifestyle, yet I still get surprised and perplexed by the changes in my body or any woman’s body for that matter. I have to admit, I dislike this very much.

I asked my sister if she had a tough time when she was getting ready to turn @# years old (lol). She is only five years older than me, but she understands what I am going through. She told me, "you get to a point where you are at peace with the changes we woman go through." That sucks….just the fact that we woman have to get to a point, where, “We are at peace”. It just sucks! So, how do I to come to terms with it all? I don’t know………but getting to a point where I am at peace with it?  Maybe I will get to that point at one time or another, but for now, I need to try to figure something else out.  I need to get my head to learn to accept me for who I am.  It's just difficult!

I came across this article and I am going to try to apply some of it.


Change how you feel

The key to feeling better about yourself is not to change your body, as the diet industry would have you believe, but rather to change the way you feel about your body. The best way to do this is not intellectually, but on your body's terms, through the senses:

When you feel bad, instead of shopping around for the latest tips on how to get flat abs or reading a magazine regarding diets and fashion tips, sit down with a good book, go see an art show at your local gallery, take a walk, take a class, or read over your favorite inspiring quotes.

Change What You Say

When you look in the mirror, chances are you give yourself a running commentary. "My legs are too fat, my stomach's too round, my breasts are too saggy, and my face is too lumpy..." Sound familiar? Instead of focusing on the negatives, try your hand at some self-affirmations. Find the things you like about yourself, and hone in on them. When you get dressed, concentrate on emphasizing your strengths, rather than covering up your "weak spots."

Change What You Do

In marriage counseling, a common exercise given to couples who have "lost the spark" is to have each person write a list of things that make them feel loved, and the other is responsible for doing at least one of those things every day. Your body is your life partner. It's important to treat it well, so that it can return the favor.

Appreciate what your body does for you. When you find yourself bogged down in negative self-talk, remind yourself what part each organ and extremity plays in helping you live a full life.

Count Your Blessings, Not Your Calories

If you do need to lose weight for medical reasons (and bad body image doesn't count as one), there are healthy ways to do so, but unless your doctor tells you to, you're better off without diets. Recent studies have shown that dieting takes a huge toll on both your mental and physical health, and that you can make significant improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol, and activity levels without shedding a pound.

Well, with all this said I decided to pamper myself with a Mani and a Pedi. I am currently eating some organic yogurt with fresh blueberries and enjoying a delicious cup of coffee. Plus, I am going to go out and buy myself a new lipstick. After all, I have to take care of my life partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment