Thursday, July 29, 2010

Giving Stress the Boot.

No time or energy to get done what you need to do or too much stress at work or with your family? Stressors can play havoc on your body and your mind. When I face too much stress I try to eliminate one stressor at a time. I try to face it head on. If I deal with too much and start to procrastinate and ignore these stress factors I know I will be dealing with a migraine soon. After all these years I usually know the precursors to my migraines. So distressing is really important to me. I do know that some stress is unavoidable such as health issues, financial pressure and the economy. That type of stress will not just go away, but you can come to terms with how you deal with them.


It’s funny because my daughter tells me I go to Voo Doo doctors. The reason for this is because I try to use natural ways of dealing with my life. I go to some awesome chiropractors, I really enjoy therapeutic massages when I feel too tense or just because, I have been hypnotized for my crazy night eating (I will save this topic for another post) and I believe in the power of prayer.

Spending time with your friends and family can help you relax and defrag too. People power can work both ways so you have to decide whom you want to surround yourself with and who makes you tense. As much as possible, I try to eliminate the people and places that stress me out. I know that is not always possible to do, so I try my best and I know sometimes (maybe a lot of times) I bring my own stress on. It’s tough being human. Ha, Ha!

Try the following tips to reduce and relieve stress. A lot of the time they work for me

• Relax. Some ways to relax include deep breathing and meditation and massage therapy. If you can’t do these things, take a few minutes to sit, listen to soothing music, or read a book. My morning favorite is my morning coffee either on my porch or at my place down the shore.

• Make time for yourself. It’s important to care for yourself. No matter how busy you are, try to set aside at least 15 minutes each day in your schedule to do something for yourself, like taking a bubble bath, going for a walk. I enjoy riding my bike around my neighborhood.

• Sleep. Sleeping is a great way to help both your body and mind. With enough sleep, you can tackle your problems better .I try to get seven hours every night. I know most of us Dives wake up a few times a night with those nasty heat flashes. On weekends naps are my best friend.

• Eat right. Enjoy a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and proteins. Good sources of protein can be peanut butter, chicken, or tuna salad. Eat whole-grains, such as wheat breads and wheat crackers. Drink plenty of water.

• Exercise. Your body makes certain chemicals, called endorphins, before and after you work out. They relieve stress and improve your mood. I hate working out but when I am done my work out I feel great…so, I do it.

• Write down your thoughts. Keeping a journal can be a great way to get things off your chest and work through issues. I journal, journal, journal. Sometimes I just use 3 x5 cards. I recently bought a new one with a cute tiger stripped kitty on it.

• Get a hobby. Find something you enjoy. Make sure to give yourself time to explore your interests. My favorite hobby is eating chocolate & coffee, spending fun times with my family & friends and shopping. The best is when I can do them all together.

• Set limits. When it comes to things like work and family, figure out what you can really do. There are only so many things you can do. Be open with people and tell them how you feel. Honesty reduces drama.

So boot all your stress out and enjoy your life.

Time to chill out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment