Thursday, October 20, 2011

Breast Cancer Tips

I have been debating when to write a post about Breast Cancer, being this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Now with 36 year old reality show star, Giuliana Rancic, being diagnosed with breast cancer recently, I thought this would be a good time. Remember it's never too early to preform a self breast exam. 
As Most of my readers know, my mother at age 56, battled bilateral breast cancer. So in honor of my mother and other pink warriors, I am posting the following breast cancer tips, which I read from the  " +50" web site.  Think Pink!

What can you do to lower your risk of getting breast cancer?


1. Maintain an ideal weight

2. Exercise three times a week

3. Alcohol consumption

4. Exposure to estrogen: The female hormone estrogen stimulates breast cell growth, so exposure to estrogen over long periods of time, without breaks, can increase the risk of breast cancer.

5. Oral contraceptive use

6. Fruits and vegetables - eat at least 3 to 4 servings daily

7. High glycemic carbohydrates

8. Smoking

9. Stress and anxiety: There is no clear proof that stress and anxiety can increase breast cancer risk, but some research suggests that practicing yoga, prayer, and meditation to manage stress can strengthen the immune system.

10. Perform monthly breast self-exams, get routine screenings and work closely with your health care provider.

My mom, my warrior (left) and her sister on the right.


My mom and my grandmom Nornie.  My angels in heaven.

2 comments: