Monday, February 28, 2011

Marriages need to be nurtured!

Life can be full of stress. Responsibilities and pressure from running my own business, worring about my aches and pains,  tending to each member of my family and their stressors and thinking how to please friends and other outside family members, well sometimes consumes me. I tend to create a lot of my own pressure and that is harmful to me and my relationships. I am always thinking how to please everyone else. How can I go a little beyond what I really need to do? Half the time no one really notices these extra things I do, so most of the effort is really not worth the stress of doing it.

Yesterday was my 6 th year wedding anniversary and needless to say it got me thinking about the man I married and what marriage is all about. (I know,  I really don’t want to talk about men on this blog….but just this once I promise…. (Smile).

This is my second marriage…..and it is very different experience from my first marriage. I don’t want to compare the two but I am going to say there is this one big difference and that is, I have such a lower stress level in my current marriage. I am comfortable and feel cared for. We love each other in a more mature way and it is a much more soothing and relaxed relationship. He makes me laugh….he can be a very funny guy. I also enjoy spending time with my husband and I enjoy doing things for him, just because I like to make him happy and one more thing….he does spoil me.

Now don’t get me wrong…our marriage is not perfect. Whose is? God knows we get on each others nerves and my hubby can be VERY anal and this quality drives me nuts, and I also wish he were more into sports (he can be a nerd)…..but I love him. We are opposites and I think that is why we work. He keeps me centered and grounded. I like to think I do the same for him too.  He loves and cares about my children and he adores our granddaughter. I thank God every day for him.  I am blessed.

With that said…….I have taken us for granted…..again worrying about others and making sure everybody is okay……wondering what special events to take part in and what relay walk I should do this year among other social fund raisers. I still want to do these things but I need time to nurture my relationship with my spouse and make my marriage my number one priority. Otherwise we will start to take each other for granted and our life together will become a chore. And I still want to laugh with him and enjoy our time together and be in the moment together, instead of thinking about other people and other obligations. So, I am going to try not to go that extra mile with all the little extra things (that really don’t matter anyway ) and take that extra mile with my husband. After all, it will be the two of us together in those rocking chairs looking at the sunset……we might as well enjoy a good laugh together.

Marriages need to be nurtured, whether it be a date night or a weekend getaway, we have to take time to appreciate each other.   Marriages are a bit like  a plant that need both the sunlight and rain…..and sometimes they need a little pruning. Of course I started nurturing  mine by making my hubby a tasty low calorie dessert.

Angel Food Cake Mixed with Canned Pumpkin topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I know the way to my hubby's heart. Ha Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment